Friday, April 16, 2010

Picket Fence Table Topper

I was asked by my church if I would decorate for our big stake women's conference. For those who have never heard of women's conference, it is a big deal and it always looks perfect. Too perfect. I was overwhelmed and excited at the same time. I was given a plate with tulips on it, and they wanted me to match my decorations around it. Oh, and the kicker was my budget was tiny. I had to come up with something pretty for nothing, well, almost nothing.



There was a lady in my church that lives on land and she has a pile of old wood. She told me I could have whatever I needed. I was thrilled, but I had no idea what I was going to do. Then I went through a craft store and saw a picket fence. Picket fences and tulips go well together.


I found some old 1x8 pieces and cut them into little rectangles. They almost looked like squares, but one side was a little longer.


Then I found some 1x2 boards. I cut them 5 inches high with my chop saw.


I used my band saw to cut the tops. You can use a scroll saw or jig saw.


Then I used a brad nailer (I bought a nail gun for my birthday. I am so weird) to attach them.


I have to make 18 of these. My neighbor came out and he said it looks like a torture bed.



I then painted it with white craft paint. I just used one coat so the rustic wood would show through. I glued a ribbon around it with a glue gun. I wanted to use real tulips but I live in the desert and it cost 5.50 for each tulip here, so I went to the dollar store and bought these. Because I used fake flowers I put rocks in my mason jar to cover up the plastic stem. I thought they turned out cute.

2 comments:

Margo said...

I am all over this!!! Will be making one for myself and next time I am asked to do deocrations for RS this will be on the menu... GREAT job!!! :O)

Miriam@BeBookBound said...

Wow. This is such a brilliant centerpiece- and I would love a brad nailer for my birthday too but my husband thinks I am joking. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails